Carrot, Date & Walnut loaf
This is a adapted version of my banana loaf, was a bit of an experiment but actually turned out so yummy!
It is quite a moist cake due to the carrot and banana but tastes great.
Full of complex carbohydrates from the wholemeal flour, good fats from the walnuts, nutrients from the carrots and bananas and a bit of sugar for added yumminess!
Perfect for a a mid afternoon snack, actually its pretty good at any time of the day!
This recipe is Dairyfree and Vegan friendly (if you use the soy/almond milk).
If you wanted to you could serve a slice with some philly light (obviously not dairy free or vegan!) spread on top or even some natural nut butter.
Carrot, Date & Walnut Loaf
Makes 12 slices
120g Grated carrot
1 large ripe banana
300ml Semi skimmed or unsweetened soy/almond milk
300g wholemeal self raising flour
80g brown sugar
pinch of salt
3/4 tsp of cinnamon
3/4 tsp all spice
1 tbsp olive oil
70g chopped dates
60g walnuts broken up
- Preheat oven to gas mark 4/170 degrees C/325F
- Mix the flour, sugar, salt and spices together in a bowl
- in a separate bowl mash the banana and add the carrots, oil and milk and mix well.
- add the banana/carrot mixture to the flour mixture and fold in until combined.
- Add the walnuts and dates, fold in.
- line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper and pour in the mixture
- cook in the oven for approx 1 hour 10 minutes. I turn the oven off and leave mine in the oven for an extra 20 mins, then cool and slice.